CPE Units: 15
11.4.3 Ensures advertising information is balanced, accurate and in the public’s best interest.
2.1 Utilizes appropriate communication methods and skills to meet the needs of various audiences.
2.1.3 Tailors message to meet the needs of the target audience.
2.1.4 Uses a variety of media to deliver information.
2.1.7 Delivers information and opinions in a respectful and professional manner.
2.1.8 Delivers accurate and credible messaging.
2.3.3 Models behaviors that maximize group participation by consulting, listening and communicating clearly.
3.3 Advocates for the customer and facilitates acquisition of services and resources.
3.3.1 Educates the customer on the availability of nutrition services.
3.3.4 Engages in active discussions with others to establish a method to best meet and serve the needs of the customer and the population.
4.1.5 Recognizes situations where services provided to a customer should be adjusted, limited, modified or discontinued.
4.2.2 Reflects on own values, beliefs and biases.
4.2.7 Integrates relevant information with previous learning, experience, professional knowledge, and current practice models.
8.1.2 Applies knowledge of food and nutrition as well as the biological, physical and social sciences in practice.
8.2.3 Implements individualized services to reflect customer-centered approach as it pertains to the customer’s physical, social, cultural, institutional and economic environment.
8.2.4 Imparts knowledge of the importance of physical activity and applies behavior change principles to promote physical activity and decrease inactivity.
9.1 Recognizes and applies education and learning theories and principles in practice.
9.1.1 Demonstrates and applies age-appropriate education principles.
9.1.2 Identifies and works to minimize and overcome barriers to learning.
9.1.3 Identifies and analyzes factors that influence behavioral change.
9.1.4 Evaluates factors that influence the learning process and skill building.
9.2.1 Assesses learning needs of the individual or target group.
9.6 Uses effective counseling and coaching skills and strategies in practice.
9.6.1 Determines and applies counseling theories, psychological methods and strategies that empower customers to make changes.
9.6.2 Obtains permission and informed consent for the provision of counseling as appropriate.
9.6.3 Determines the customer’s expectations and aspirations and manages situations wherein these expectations cannot be met.
9.6.4 Assesses customer’s readiness to change when applying specific counseling strategies.
9.6.5 In collaboration with the customer, develops counseling or coaching goals.
9.6.6 Assists with resolution of barriers to achieving counseling and coaching goals.
3020 Assessment of Target Groups, Populations
4040 Disease Prevention
5370 Weight Management, Obesity
6010 Behavior Change Theories, Techniques
6020 Counseling, Therapy, and Facilitation Skills
6030 Education Theories and Techniques for Adults
6070 Interviewing and Listening Skills
$695 includes complete lifestyle change curriculum
- User Guide
- Session Lesson Plans
- Materials for Lessons
- Personal Plan Notebook
- Eat the MyPlate Way
- 18 Food and Activity Record booklets
Start your weight management business with training and leader materials.
What You’ll Learn in the Leader Training
The course covers everything you need to know to launch a successful LifeSteps® program. It:
- Develops your skills in behavioral techniques, behavioral feedback and group management.
- Certifies you to deliver LifeSteps® in a variety of setting, including worksites, private medical practices, fitness centers and wellness and bariatric clinics.
- Provides RDNs with 15 CPEs that can be completed on your schedule, in your home or office.
Course Objectives: After completing the Leader Training, you will be able to:
- Identify all components of the LifeSteps® Weight Management Program.
- Know how to use each component effectively.
- Apply cognitive-behavioral strategies and group facilitation skills in a weight management setting.
- Understand when and how to provide behavioral feedback to clients.
- Apply goal setting concepts to specific client situations.
- Function as an independent contractor of the LifeSteps® Weight Management Program.
- Market and promote the program.
Both course options include the following:
- Required, background reading
- PowerPoint presentations
- “Hands on” assignments using the LifeSteps® program materials
- Review through quizzes and tests
- Idea sharing
How It Works
If you’re qualified to become a LifeSteps® Leader, choose from two options:
- Scheduled Course – Join in and interact online with others who are taking the course at the same time.
- Individualized Self-study – This is a great option if scheduled course dates don’t work for you. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The course is taught entirely online. All you need is:
- A computer
- An internet connection and
- 6 weeks to complete the LifeSteps® Leader Training Course!
No matter which option you choose:
- You complete the course at your own pace, on your own time, in the convenience of your home or work setting.
- The course is open and available for you 24/7.
- There is no set time to log-in and you can work when it fits your schedule.
- Plan for about 3 hours per week to complete the tasks.